Re: GPT partlabel support for Mach

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 02:46:47PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> No, that's the contrary: the set of packages included in the netinst
> image is a coherent view at some point. The daily images have not been
> tested so they might break, but the released images (be the actual
> 2-year-period release, or the snapshot I publish from times to time)
> have been tested, so the base system included in it *is* installable.
Point. I was mostly thinking WRT conflicts between what's on
the ISO vs what's in the archive, like the glibc versioning problem from
January's image, but now I see that that's less of a problem than I'd
thought it'd be in the general case.

> The mini.iso image, however, *completely* depends on the archive state
> at the time you run it. There is thus zero guarantee whether it's
> installable at all or not.
FWIW, I do most (all) of my installs over PXE (=> no local repo) or by
strapping and it's always worked for me on release arches, so that's
probably coloured my thinking here. Now I think about it, x32 was
a touch broken once or twice…

> So you here mean the initial base system installation? With netinst it
> shouldn't actually be needed to enable unreleased, it should be already
> finding everything it needs inside the netinst iso for installing the
> base system.
Exactly, that's the magic I was referring to. It finds packages from
entirely unrelated suites for the file:// archive, but not a remote one;
this alone is weird, but I understand why it would be desired.

One solution would be to always enable unreleased for hurd
(or, going by the check in apt-setup/50mirror[1], all ports arches?
 a glance at the archive[2] says most of them have *something* there)
in the debootstrap script, similar to what I sent before.
This would make netboot more semantically sound,
but more importantly fix plain straps and the mini iso.

> Of course, for mini.iso it's a completely different story, enabling
> unreleased could be useful there, help welcome on this.
If you think the script's a good place for it, I'll whip something up
and send it to debian-boot@, with your blessing.

наб

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/apt-setup/-/blob/584e84b5a1d6e71ecb94e503a1a8e546048d215b/generators/50mirror#L28-45
[2]: http://deb.debian.org/debian-ports/dists/unreleased/