Re: UEFI PC?

Peter Wiehe <peter@pwiehe.de> writes:

> Hello,
> I'm new to Hurd and this mailing list.
>
> Is Debian GNU/Hurd able to be installed on an UEFI PC?

Are you certain that you want to install the Hurd on bare hardware?  The
Hurd is not as stable as GNU/Linux.  Most Hurd developers run the Hurd
in qemu.  This is probably the easiest way to run the Hurd.

That being said, I would guess that the Hurd does not have UEFI
support...but I do not know for certain.  I do know of one Hurd
developer who managed to install Debian GNU/Hurd on a Thinkpad T60.

Those old Thinkpads are pretty awesome.  I'm using a T400, and it was
only $50 on ebay.  Also, as far as I know, you have to use the
proprietary BIOS to boot the Hurd.  Coreboot or libreboot currently do
not support booting the Hurd.

That being said, you can probably still boot the Hurd in newer
laptops...You can normally boot a UEFI laptop in BIOS compatibility
mode.

I hope that helps!

--
Joshua Branson