Re: Debian Buster release to partially drop non-systemd support

Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 06:01:43AM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>> > Has policy changed regarding support for multiple inits, or is it just that
>> > no one is maintaining the shim and sysvinit-core?
>>
>> The latter.  systemd-shim has been orphaned for over 2 years, and has
>> RC bugs.   sysvinit currently has two maintainers, but they've only
>> ever made one upload (over a year ago).
>
> It seems that these facts are either largely ignored or unknown and I
> wonder if some noise should be made so that interested people can pick
> up the work now and not only complain later.

I'm aware of some work ongoing at the moment to try and improve matters
(currently looking at elongind, for example). If anyone's got some
interest/effort in getting sysvinit (and related bits) in a better state
for buster, do drop me a line.

Regards,

Matthew

--
"At least you know where you are with Microsoft."
"True. I just wish I'd brought a paddle."