Re: iso_not_recognised

Hi,

Graham Cunnington wrote:
> my computer does not even
> see the DVD-1 in the DVD drive, although it sees all Linux bootable isos and
> the Haiku iso when a disk is put in the hard drive.

Most GNU/Linux Installation- or Live-ISOs are prepared for booting
via BIOS and EFI firmware. The Debian GNU/Hurd ISOs DVD-1 and NETINST
only offer starting points for BIOS, not for EFI.
(I am not sure whether Hurd would run on hardware from modern EFI times.)

The image
  wget http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports-cd/hurd-i386/debian-hurd-2017/debian-hurd-2017-i386-DVD-1.iso
works for me on qemu virtual machines with SeaBIOS from virtual DVD
or virtual hard disk (or USB stick).

haiku-r1alpha4.iso is exotic. It boots by an emulated 2.8 MB floppy
in the El Torito boot image. (GRUB and ISOLINUX boot by no-emulation
boot images, which are x86 programs.)

> Have you any idea on what the iso recognition problem is and how to overcome
> it?

You will have to tell more about your computer. Especially its processor
(e.g. 32 bit Intel Pentium) and the boot firmware (e.g. Phoenix-Award
BIOS vX.YZ).
Then you will have to give the exact URL of the ISO which does not work
for you.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas