Hello World!!

HELLO, DEBIAN!!

So, my friend and I have been on the fence on which kernel to use over the past year or so. I think the one that fits us best is Hurd, though we've attempted Linux. I'm almost 18, and have been wanting to do this for awhile.

Let me explain: I want to get started working with you guys sometime in the next week or so when I have time. I'm a friendly, so please don't pull out your flamethrowers (I've been to many a development community and a lot of them can be rabid dogs waiting to bite) :-)

If possible, could one of you please walk me through what I would need to do to port Debian GNU/Hurd to amd64 (aka x86-64 or simply x64)? I've got some things with this form of Debian that I'd be interested in working with, but first I'd like to help everyone else get it off the ground and somewhat stable first. I'm interested because I ran it in VirtualBox once and let me just tell you that even though the userland looked identical to Debian Standard, the theory of how the system was running amazed me.

Another thing: Apparently Debian is having issues with compiling things to 32bit architectures due to removal of features in GCC, so we do need to get on the ball with going through to amd64. I would love to help recompile the base system to x86-64 architectures (specifically, help to get it working with UEFI machines, half of which I'm still struggling to understand the mind**** created by that group) and help get it up to speed with everyone else.

It's an interesting concept, it really is, I'd just like to see it survive.

Thanks,
MGage