Error with running the image

I run into a critical error whenever I try to run the pre-installed image using the method described in the README[1].

Grub runs just fine but when it tries to load hurd I run into an error equal to the one described by Neil McGovern when running the installer from virtualbox[2].

This is my second attempt at this problem, previously I tried both the CD and the pre-installed image with the same result. I've also tried running with qemu but the hurd system was extremely unstable and crashed often. My processor does not seem to support kvm.

[1] - http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian-cd/hurd-i386/current/README.txt
[2] - https://lists.debian.org/debian-hurd/2013/05/msg00049.html