Re: Init system for non-Linux ports

On 12/02/14 12:23, Robert Millan wrote:
> If we have to support it anyway, is it really worth spending effort on
> Upstart/OpenRC for Jessie?

Right, sysvinit is a viable and easy option for jessie;  having any
other init systems working is a bonus.

At least we know now that we need to concentrate on maintaining sysvinit
scripts.

Although, come jessie+1, I wonder how upgrades will be handled, if
sysvinit scripts go away.  Maybe it is preferable to have some new init
system *already* in place, as default in jessie.  But it's difficult to
predict so far ahead.

> IMHO it'd be safer to wait and see where things go.

I agree, a lot could change now that GNU/Linux has chosen systemd, and
we have plenty of time.  In particular I wonder what Ubuntu will do, and
if Upstart has a future at all.  The still-ongoing GNOME/logind issue
may have some impact on that.

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain