Re: Bogus low-memory mode

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 7:34 AM, Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> wrote:
> Donald Allen, le Wed 29 May 2013 07:29:42 -0400, a écrit :

>> > Please make sure to read the faq :)
>>
>> If 'shutdown' is known not to work and, from the FAQ, apparently does
>> not work by design, why include it?
>
> Because in the end we want shutdown to actually work, there's actually a
> gsoc project that has just started precisely for that.
>
>> make a tiny shutdown script that echoes the FAQ text,
>
> It's the sysvinit package which provides it, not the hurd package.
> Changing the shutdown command would require diverting it, or patching
> the sysvinit package, etc. which might be even more messy.

Maybe a bit more messy for you, but a lot less messy for users, who
you are trying to attract, at this point to help you test this system
and find problems. Why annoy them with something that is known not to
work by assuming they'll consult a FAQ when they see something that
looks like a bug? In effect, I'm advocating providing a useful and
specific error message instead of what currently happens.

/Don