On the possibility of OpenRC for GNU/Hurd (gsoc2013)

Dear Samuel and Pino,
(I am not subscribed to debian-hurd list, please Cc me off the list)

I am a co-mentor of "OpenRC init system in Debian" project this year.

Our project is about to Debianize OpenRC[1], a candidate replacement for
/etc/init.d/rc originated from Gentoo written in C and POSIX
shell. OpenRC is created with portability in mind and it runs on FreeBSD
port of Gentoo.

The packaging effort is ongoing, and we expect a usable package
available by the end of soc (Hopefully earier). A nice summary of most
recent present progress is posted by Thomas,

        http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.general/183307

I read in GNU/Hurd Debianish init project[2] that

,----
| The goal of this project is to make this port use the default Debian
| init system (currently: sysvinit and its rc, sysv-rc), fixing bugs in it
| and in the associated init scripts, and then simply enable them instead
| of the GNU/Hurd upstream ones.
`----

and sensed commonalities between our projects. Although it is not mature
to say we can roll out a Debianized OpenRC on GNU/Hurd under the
collaboration of both projects, it would be nice to keep us updated of
the progress to watch for this possibility. Being no expert on Hurd nor
init system, I think OpenRC might be cleaner to hack than sysv-rc.

Hints and comments welcome :)

Cheers,
Benda

1. http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC