Re: Hurd and the archive

On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 04:33:03PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Neil McGovern, le Wed 08 May 2013 11:35:52 +0100, a écrit :
> > But not tested - how about USB - did that ever get sorted?
>
> We have not worked on it.
>
> > How about things like wireless drivers, raid controllers,
> > suspend/resume, power management etc?
>
> There are some wireless drivers for pcmcia cards (e.g. orinoco,
> hermes). No raid support. No suspend/resume or power management.
>
> I'm wondering: if I had spent time on these instead of working on
> Wheezy, I guess people wouldn't have been happy either. I wonder what I
> should have done at all.
>
> And when these get implemented, I guess we'll be asked for 3D
> acceleration, backlight tuning, memory hotplug, etc. etc.?

No, just something that works for the majority of our users. I'm fairly
sure things like SATA and USB is considered essential.

> > > This already works.
> >
> > Just tried it with vbox - as soon as I selected 'text install', I got a
> > "critical error" and the vm stopped.
>
> I don't have this issue at all, things just go fine here with both the
> other/other template and the Linux/Linux template. This message comes
> from vbox I guess (there is no such message in Mach or the Hurd), so I'd
> tend to think virtualbox has some issues in your setup.

I installed virtualbox on a standard Wheezy system, with other/other and
2G ram.

> > For something to be accepted in testing, it should be in a releaseable
> > state.
>
> Which we haven't seen very precisely defined still. Or at least we have
> this criterium:

I'll see if I can be clear: I will not be putting Hurd in testing in the
next few months.

Neil