Re: Hurd and the archive

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> We haven't worked on microcode upload, since we don't necessarily target
> non-freeness...

I'm not sure where Hurd is at with wireless drivers, but there is some
GPLed WiFi firmware out there:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/carl9170.fw
http://github.com/qca/open-ath9k-htc-firmware

In addition, firmware-linux-free contains some freely licensed
firmware, including some for Ethernet cards.

I believe the freely licensed nouveau drivers for nVidia GPU cards
have the ability to generate the needed GPU microcode.

So, someday the Hurd will need support for microcode upload.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise