Re: Debian installer, rescue mode?

On Sat, 2012-06-16 at 23:57 +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Svante Signell, le Fri 15 Jun 2012 16:36:31 +0200, a écrit :
> > Installing grub:
> > grub-install /dev/hd0
> > Illegal instruction
>
> As I have said before, I've never encountered the issue, so can not
> divine what is happening.  I guess you have already checked what could
> be different between your box which has the issue and the your box which
> does not?

The system having a problem was an old one, upgrading. The one without
problems is a rather new install. I think the previous version of grub
was 1.98. When booting I get messages of no argument given, press any
key to continue, etc. And doing that the image boots. Some old stuff
seems to be left remaining when installing the new grub.

> > Can I reboot, I doubt it??
>
> The failed grub-install probably bricked the mbr.  Remember that the
> grub-rescue-pc package provides a CD image that you can use to boot your
> Hurd system relatively easily.

I managed to mount the HDD and did a successful grub-install. But
update-grub still fails. I can now boot the image, but upgrading e.g.
gnumach fails due to the update-grub problems. And dpkg-reconfigure -a
also fails. Is there a way to configure the packages that will configure
successfully. Where is that list stored?