Re: SCSI for Hurd

Hi,

Samuel Thibault wrote:
> You can look on the bug-hurd mailing list, "Interface for SCSI
> transactions", Thomas Schmitt proposed to work on a generic interface, I
> don't know its status.

Well, it is being left behind, currently.
The last technical discussion was in october 2012.
My youngest proposal seems to be in
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-hurd/2011-10/msg00053.html
(I found a sketch on my local disk which contains this proposal and
 the elder one with a more generic RPC.)

The most disputed issue in the discussion was how to design and
integrate the RPC call. I got half an ok for my proposal by Olaf
Buddenhagen.

I then tried to get a real DVD burner accessible via qemu.
This succeeded for a Debian GNU/Linux guest:
  http://libburnia-project.org/wiki/QemuXorriso
but the emulated controllers were not supported by Hurd then.

I have watched progress reports about DDE here on the list, but did
not yet explore whether this work affects my roughly sketched path
through the compoments of Hurd.

Actually i do not see myself qualified as kernel hacker.
My role would normally be the one of a skilled user of an
SCSI passthrough interface: Telling what's needed, testing,
maybe digging for bug hideouts in the code, ...

So i would not mind if anybody else takes on the task.
As soon as there is a userspace interface for SCSI passthrough
and Hurd can access a real DVD burner, i am committed to test it

Have a nice day :)

Thomas