Re: Disc issues

Am 02.05.2012 15:05, schrieb Philipp Klaus Krause:
> Am 02.05.2012 14:12, schrieb harish badrinath:

>>> I used
>>>
>>> kvm -m 2G -net nic,model=ne2k_pci -net user -cdrom cd-1.iso -boot d
>>> -drive file=hurd-raw.qemu,cache=writeback
>>>
>>> which is 4 times the amount of memory recommended at
>>> http://people.debian.org/~sthibault/hurd-i386/installer/cdimage/README.txt
>>>
>> May be paste the install log stored by debian installer ..
>> Please see http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch06s01.html.en
>>> Philipp
>>

> It seems my mail with attachments didn't get through, so I uploaded
> var/log to http://pholia.tdi.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/~philipp/hurd/log/
>
>>From my original mail:
>
>> I mounted the qemu image, but did not find a /var/log/syslog or
>> /var/log/installer/syslog as mentioned on that page:
>>
>> phoinikas:/home/philipp/hurd# ls -l /mnt/var/log
>> insgesamt 240
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  12898 Mai  2 13:34 alternatives.log
>> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   4096 Mai  2 13:26 apt
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  12991 Mai  2 13:38 aptitude
>> -rw-r----- 1 root adm      31 Mai  2 13:24 boot
>> -rw-rw---- 1 root utmp      0 Mai  2 13:23 btmp
>> -rw-r----- 1 root adm      31 Mai  2 13:24 dmesg
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 185728 Mai  2 13:40 dpkg.log
>> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   4096 Mai  2 13:24 fsck
>> -rw-rw-r-- 1 root utmp  29784 Mai  2 13:24 lastlog
>> -rw-rw-r-- 1 root utmp      0 Mai  2 13:23 wtmp
>>
>> I attached the dpkg.log, apt/history.log, apt/term.log and aptitude
>> since those were the most recently updated ones.
>>
>> Philipp

I think I have tracked down this issue somewhat:

I tried installing with the settings documented above twice (all default
but going with German / Germany and participating in the popularity
contest). I got exactly the same crash to reboot both times.
I then tried installing with the same settings again, but going with
English / US this time. I got an error about util-linux depending on
not-yet-configured tzdata, but choose to continue and the installation
worked.

So it seems that the hurd installer crashes depending on the locale
selected at start.

Philipp