Re: Is the debian-doc kfreeBSD-ready?

El 11 d’abril de 2012 5:24, David Prévot <taffit@debian.org> ha escrit:
> Hi kFreeBSD folks, Hurd folks CC.
>
> After taking care of the website (mostly changing “Debian GNU/Linux” to
> a simple “Debian” where it's accurate), we are wondering if our Debian
> documentation is kFreeBSD-ready, i.e. can we safely drop “GNU/Linux”, or
> do we need to tweak the documentation first?

Hi,

I can't answer your question, however I wanted to comment something
about one of the proposed texts:

| Debian is a free operating system (OS) for your computer. An operating
| system is the set of basic programs and utilities that make your
| computer run. Debian uses the Linux or FreeBSD kernel (the core of an
| operating system), but most of the basic OS tools come from the GNU
| project; hence the name Debian GNU/Linux or Debian GNU/kFreeBSD.

This is saying that FreeBSD is a kernel, and that Debian uses it.  But
that's not true.  Debian doesn't use FreeBSD, only a small part of it
(its kernel, plus some bits of kernel-related code).  The phrase
"kernel of FreeBSD" (or its abbreviation, "kFreeBSD") is often used to
refer to the situation unambigously.

--
Robert Millan