Why does su change PATH on amd64 but not on hurd-i386 ?

Hi,

Svante Signell wrote:
> [...]
Samuel Thibault wrote
> In Debian Linux, yes. But we still have the issue on Debian Hurd. There
> is no reason why we shouldn't be able to get the same behavior.

I would like to understand how this miracle works on my amd64
installation of 6.0.2.

Meanwhile google found me "/etc/login.defs" which obviously is the
source of the su PATH on amd64.
If i change this line
  ENV_SUPATH      PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
then the next su gets the changed PATH.

But the same file and line are visible on hurd-i386 too.
So why doesn't it get into effect, as on amd64 ?

In man login.defs (on amd64) i read:

  BUGS
    Much of the functionality that used to be provided by the shadow
    password suite is now handled by PAM. Thus, /etc/login.defs is no
    longer used by passwd(1), or less used by login(1), and su(1). Please
    refer to the corresponding PAM configuration files instead.

Might this be the difference ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas