Re: Installing Debian GNU/Hurd in qemu/kvm using the Debian Installer (first draft)

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 11:50:59PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> olafBuddenhagen@gmx.net, le Tue 29 Mar 2011 18:17:34 +0200, a écrit :

> > Note that the Hurd console also has a number of drawbacks. (One of which
> > you actually mention later on: not seeing kernel messages. But there are
> > other issues too.) So the preference is not at all clear. There is a
> > reason why it's not enabled by default...
>
> I'm not really sure such reason make it not a sane default for lambda
> users.

The kernel message issue perhaps not... But the bug(s) making it pretty
much unusable for some users might be a problem. OTOH, they probably
don't manifest in QEMU -- so maybe not relevant in this case...

> And we should actually rather simply provide a /etc/init.d/hurd-console
> script, which can thus be started (or not) the usual way.

Sounds like a good idea :-)

> > > As user: sudo startx
> > > As root: startx (not recommended)
> >
> > Why root? It works fine as normal user here... It's generally not
> > recommended to run a whole X session as root.
>
> Maybe the default parameter of the Xorg wrapper is to accept only
> console-logged in users (which doesn't work yet on the Hurd).

But the very same guide explicitely advised using the "everyone" setting
instead because of that...

-antrik-