Re: Installing Debian GNU/Hurd in qemu/kvm using the Debian Installer (first draft)

Svante Signell, le Wed 30 Mar 2011 08:46:02 +0200, a écrit :
> > Yes. But knowing whether you're having the issue can be tricky: the boot
> > may work fine and it's only when actually doing work that you have the
> > issue.
>
> Added a remark on kernels 2.6.37 and 2.6.38.

Well, the thing is that it's not *exactly* 2.6.37, I guess some -mm
kernels have the issue etc.

> > > Err... Why would anyone chose not to install it in the MBR of the qemu
> > > image?
> >
> > In that case, right.
>
> So we should recommend this for qemu?

Yes. Although I really believe it's truly basic system installation knowledge...

> > Ok, but then someone please promise that he'll keep everything up to
> > date on the long term, because that has never been done.
>
> Make up your minds, one writeup or spread to several pages?

Both. Separate pages need to be kept up to date: a howto is not a good
general documentation since it doesn't provide all the details, but can
be still useful as an introduction, as antrik pointed out.

> As you know I've made some changes to the GNU running/qemu page
> (not yet published), and am about to add some stuff to the Debian
> hurd-install file obtained from Samuel.

Yes, that's needed.

> You can never be sure of long term commitments from people, peoples time
> is limited, and priorities have to be made in life.

I do know that for sure...

> If somebody no longer have time or interest to make updates, somebody
> else has to take over.

Sure. But for now I've mostly seen people writing their howto once, and
never update it since then, thus ending up with a myriad of howtos which
document various workarounds that have been fixed since then...

Samuel