Re: Gnu hurd installation nativ-install fails.

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:49:30AM +0100, Enaut Waldmeier wrote:
> 2010/2/26 <olafBuddenhagen@gmx.net>

> Ok might be that there are additional problems with the symlink

Yeah, You will encounter them when trying do build Debian packages that
create libraries for example; but also on installation/upgrade of
certain packages. Don't remember which it were exactly -- but I'm sure I
encountered serious problems, which require non-trivial workarounds, in
at least one or two.

> > I thought the option was dropped from crosshurd a while back. What
> > version are you using?...
> >
> the one from ubuntu-repositories. The script is not very verbose about
> its version but the packageversion is 1.7.33

Yeah, that is old. It's probably responsible for some other problems as
well, like the initscripts one for example.

Unfortunately crosshurd breaks quite often due to changes in the
packages it installs, and always needs adjustments to fix them. That's
why you should always try to use the most recent version... Stable
Debian/Ubuntu releases aren't terribly useful for that.

> If anything goes wrong I will try to do it without the usr again..

I strongly recommend you to do it *now*. You *will* run into problems
sooner or later; and it only will be more painful to redo the install
later, when you already have other stuff set up in the system...

(I haven't yet come up with a way to convert an existing installation --
which is why mine still has the symlink, and I'm suffering from it quite
a lot :-( )

-antrik-