Re: Panic: bad magic number

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:14:05AM +0200, Bruno Minotti wrote:
>> Yes, but that's probably the Mach console, not the Hurd one.
>>
> I don't think so. The mach console is for me that with for example the
> single-user mode (...#), the Hurd console is that one that begins with
> GNU 0.3 (myhostname) (console) ... login>. I made some trials with QEMU
> and I had always to put in /etc/default/hurd-console ENABLE='true' to
> start this console.
> With this installation ENABLE is set to 'false' but the hurd console
> still booting.

Both the Hurd and Mach console prompt for login.  The difference is that
the Hurd console provides several virtual terminals (switchable via
Alt+Fx, like on GNU/Linux) and detach/retach (detach is somewhat
unfortunatebly via ctrl+alt+backspace, so beware if you run this in Qemu
with a zapping XServer).

Michael