Re: xinit unable to connect to X server

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 02:25:31PM -0500, Nathan Gray wrote:

> I believe I am experiencing the same problem as is outlined in this
> thread:
>
>   http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-hurd@lists.debian.org/msg19397.html

Oh, I hadn't realized there was already a thread about this once...

In any case, I'm experiencing the same problem. First seen it last
September or so, though I'm not using the X server on Hurd very often,
so it can have been there many months longer. (Must have in fact,
according to the above cited mail :-) )

> At first I thought it was a problem with X, but now I'm beginning to
> think it has to do with xinit.

No, the problem manifests with the X server itself. If you are logged in
on the box with ssh, and try running X clients per hand, they will also
fail to connect, just like xinit.

Using TCP transport (DISPAY=localhost:0) instead of the default socket
transport works though. So it's a problem with sockets. And most likely
the problem is actually not in the server, but in Hurd's socket
implementation...

The strange thing is that while several people have seen this issue, it
seems to work for some...

-antrik-