Re: IBM Thinkpad R61e harddisk not mounting

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Justin Peacock
<icefiresnowwolf@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi
>  New around here, first post.

Welcome!

>  Here are the specs for my computer:
>  IBM Thinkpad R61e
>  Intel Graphics
>  Intel Audio
>  Intel USB
>  100GB 7200RPM
>  I also have a Lucent Orinoco B Card.
>  Support for either of the cards would be fine, though the Intel one is preferred.
>  I am currently running Debian GNU/Linux, but would probably clear it away in favor Debian GNU/Hurd.
>
>  I have tried the miniso and the cd, neither can detect the drive.

There is a list of known working hardware on the wiki:
    http://www.bddebian.com/~wiki/
which seems to be down at the moment, but check it out. I know others
have Orinoco cards working.

The most frequent reason GNU can't mount hard drives is that Mach does
not yet include a SATA driver. If your disk is a SATA disk, and your
BIOS has the option to enable ATA emulation, that might be the ticket.

If not, come see us on the irc channel or email us on the help-hurd
mailing list mentioned at:
    http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/help.html

With crossed fingers,

William Leslie