Re: GCC Spec File for Profiling

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 02:36:02PM -0400, Michael Casadevall wrote:
> Looking at the buildd logs, it looks like gcc-4.2 is broken at the moment
> on Hurd,

Nah, it should compile fine giving enough patience.  A reasonably
uptodate package is on ftp.debian.org mirrors, I just killed the builds
of newer gcc-4.2 versions at the last few instances to save the buildd
CPU cycles for other packages.

I usually compile gcc-4.2 on my Thinkpad when I get around doing it,
it's much faster than the buildd.  You still need the Debian patches, of
course.

> and given the difficulty I had getting 4.1 working, its going to
> be a royal pain to fix. I've never worked on GCC before, but looking
> at the site, 4.1 has stopped accepting patches, and 4.2 is frozen,
> which means it looks like any new patches will have to go into 4.3.
> I've never worked on getting patches merged upstream, so it would be
> an interesting experience to say the least.

Right, that's pretty interesting for gcc apparently.  I /think/ you
should file a bugzilla bug and then mail your patch to some gcc-patches
mailing list for evaluation, just filing bugs won't make upstream apply
the patches I believe.

Michael