Re: multiboot failing after k14 installation

Hello!

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 07:29:03PM +0000, Mark Meyer wrote:
> After installing Hurd from the K14 cds within Qemu I get a message
>
>   getty[41]: cannot set controlling terminal to /dev/tty1: (ipc/mig) bad
>     request message ID
>
> when booting into multi-user mode after running ./native-install.

I think the problem is the following one: after running the
`native-install' script (which stores passive translator settings in the
file system) you have to reboot the system.  But if you reboot the system
without explicitly synchronizing the file system to the disk, some things
are not stored on there properly.  You could try re-installing and
running a ``syncfs -s'' before giving the rebooting command.  A friend of
mine had exactly the same problem and doing it the way I just described
``fixed'' that.

Regards,
 Thomas