Re: Locahost:

Sometimes it's hard to tell whether these are genuine requests or if
these are from spammers.

On 7/26/06, Bram Geron <bgeron@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Charles,

First, this probably isn't the right place to ask. This mailing list,
debian-hurd is about another operating system, the GNU Hurd. It's
somewhat like the Linux OS, except that it has no Linux at all in it and
features a lot of cool stuff that Linux doesn't have.

You probably want to look in a SUSE-specific place, as these will give
better info. Try the SUSE site, it has good documentation (maybe you
bought it printed out). The answer you look for and many others are
probably there. Google also often is helpful.

Second, if you can't find the answer anywhere, you might consider asking
a forum / mailing list / newsgroup. Eric S. Raymond wrote a document on
how to ask questions in a better way, I suggest you read it. The URL is
<http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>.

Third, I can display a login screen on my Debian GNU/Linux computer by
entering `kdm' or `gdm'. `startx' gets me a GNOME or KDE session
directly. `xinit' and then `startkde' in the terminal window might also
be a thing to try. I don't know what to use on SUSE. This should be in
the docs.

Note that using your computer as the root user is often considered bad
habit. The SUSE docs should again provide more information about it..

charles macharial wrote:
> Hi i started my suse Linux but it is not booting directly to the desktop.
> its brings localhost login:
> Then i login as root
> Password 111111, Then it comes to localhost:
>
> Tell me how i can switch to KDE desktop.
>
> _*THANKS*_

Regards,

--
Bram Geron