Re: Google Summer of Code: Installer for Hurd

On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 07:11:34PM -0300, Matheus Morais wrote:
> Hello again,
> On 5/6/06, Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
> >Indeed; if you manage to get the damn thing to boot, I'll be on it like
> >a shot. :-)
> >
> >Here's the diff from my working d-i tree:
> >
> >  http://people.debian.org/~cjwatson/d-i/hurd/d-i.diff
>
> As I could see you have done a great job here but my question is, If we got
> this approved by google will be better start the project from the scrach,
> start where Colin stoped or a mixture of both? I have read, superficialy,
> the diff files and I think we could use them as guide for the development
> proccess and not simply catch the Colin code and continue from where him
> stoped. This is the most simple way, IMHO.

I think it would be a shame to throw away my work and start from
scratch, and I think it would be a waste of a student's time. Google
isn't paying people to reinvent wheels for the sake of it; it's paying
them to do work useful to free software projects. IMO it's entirely
appropriate for a student to take existing work and run with it; I
believe that, even with the groundwork I've tried to lay, there is still
plenty of material in a d-i Hurd port to keep a student busy for quite
some time.

Cheers,