Re: apt-cdrom add with K5 CDs problems

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Yaakov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When i enter:
>
> apt-cdrom add
>
> with the K5 CDs, it tells me:
>
> Reading Package Indexes... Done
> Wrote 1503 records with 5987 missing files.
> Alot of entries were discarded, something may be wrong.
> REading Source Indexes... Done
> Wrote 0 records with 8048 missing files.
> Writing new source list
> blah blah blah
> W: No valid records were found.
> #
> notice that 1503+5987=7490
>
> on the second CD, i get:
>
> Reading Package Indexes... Done
> Wrote 1665 records with 5825 missing files.
> Alot of entries were discarded, something may be wrong.
> Reading Source Indexes... Done
> Wrote 0 recorsd with 8048 missing files.
> Alot of entries were discarded, something may be wrong.
> blah blah blah
> W: No valid records were found
> #
> notice that 1665+5825=7490
>
> when i did a little inspection, i found that that on CD1, in the
> dists/sid-secured/binary-hurd-i386/Packages file, it makes references
> to ncurses-base and ncurses-bin, but following the file name reference
> to the package pool, i'm finding that only ncurses-bin is on CD1.
> checking the same Package file on CD2, i'm finding that there are
> references to the same ncurses-base and ncurses-bin, but in the pool,
> all there are, are developement libraries for ncurses and debuggable
> ones.

The sid-secured Packages are for security not for installation.  Debian-cd
has to be hacked to make it work for GNU.  These Packages files are not
used during the installation process.

> aside from that assumptions are a bad thing, i'm gonna assume that the
> package files make references to other missing packages, spread out on
> all four CDs, and then i'm gonna make another big leap of faith here,
> based on my baby arithmetic that all four CDs have the same package
> files (which in retrospect makes a perverse sense of logic).  Now my
> big problem is, where are the source packages?  Secondly, will K7 have
> the same setup, or will it have customized Package files like the
> standard debian/linux CDs have?

Are you refering to the secured Packages?

Phil.

  I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs & DVDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz