Re: upgrading Debian-GNU-Hurd

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 07:42:07PM +0300, Ognyan Kulev wrote:
> Thierry LACOSTE wrote:
> >When I run startx the screen turns black for one or two minutes
> >and then the computer reboots.

I think this is normal right now if a fatal problem (like when your
graphics card is not supported) occurs. Check
/var/log/XFree86.log.0 (or similar) and see the console output.

You need to append --repeat=/dev/kbd or something to the console command
in order to make X run successfully.

> Even if you succeed in running X server, it is very unstable.  I don't
> know of anyone that uses it.

Well, I do :)

I haven't figured out how to switch back to the console short of
shutting down the X server, and there's no way to restart it again (the
mouse translator hangs)

> Emacs needs xlibs, so what I do is to use K5 ISO's xfree86 (4.1 AFAIR).
> But it's not straightforward and I can't describe it right now :-(
> And surely there are better ways with newer versions (4.3) but I haven't
> succeeded in installing them.

Guillem Jover posted how to install xlibs-4.3.0 from gnuab.org, you
should run something like 'apt-get install xlibs=4.3.0-0pre1v3.1
xlibs-data=4.3.0-0pre1v3.1'. However Wolfgang and I encountered a
further problem with defoma while trying to install emacs21 today, maybe
a too recent Arch:all defoma package has been uploaded, I have not
investigated the problem yet.

cheers,

Michael

--