problems with inetutils-inetd

As you may have gathered from previous messages to this list, I've installed the Hurd a couple times to mess about with it, but have ended up needing the space for other things. However, the fan on my girlfriend's (very old) computer died, so when she bought a laptop, I took the drive from the old computer--so I now have a drive to devote full-time to the Hurd.

I note that there are two tarballs in http://eu.hurd.gnuab.org/pub/debian/base/ (incidentally and unrelatedly, the NA mirror times out for me), so I grabbed the newer one (9 May 2004), untarred it in mounted /gnu with same owner and permissions, and rebooted into it. Everything boots fine into single-user mode, but when I run ./native-install tzconfig just loops (and with Ctrl-C not working in single-user, I just had to power off the box). I saw in the archives that someone else had this problem, and that there was a related bug report (which I also read), but I saw nothing there about a fix--if I've missed it, I apologize, and please steer me towards it. So I went back to the older (11 November 2003) tarball. This one boots fine as well and, more importantly perhaps, ./native-install runs with no problems. Reboot, run native-install again, reboot into multiuser mode. All is well.

That is to say, all is well until I attempt an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade (I'd already added the Debian mirror and gnuab.org to the sources.list, per http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install). Everything installs fine except that I get this when attempting to upgrade inetutils-inetd:

Preparing to replace inetutils-inetd 2:1.4.2+20030703-8 (using .../inetutils-ine
td_2%3a1.4.2+20040207-2_hurd-i386.deb) ...
Stopping internet superserver: /etc/init.d/inetutils-inetd: line 53: 397 Segme ntation fault start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --oknodo --pidfile /var/run/
$NAME.pid --exec $DAEMON
dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 139
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
Stopping internet superserver: /etc/init.d/inetutils-inetd: line 53: 400 Segme ntation fault start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --oknodo --pidfile /var/run/
$NAME.pid --exec $DAEMON
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/inetutils-inetd_2%3a1.4.2+2004020
7-2_hurd-i386.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 139
Starting internet superserver: /etc/init.d/inetutils-inetd: line 53: 404 Segme ntation fault start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --oknodo --pidfile /var/run
/$NAME.pid --exec $DAEMON

Each instance of /etc/init.d/inetutils-inetd takes about a minute or so before it segfaults.

Again, I apologize if this has been covered already, but can somebody point me in the right direction?

Regards,
Carson