invoke-rc.d

line 1 of the script says:
RUNLEVEL=/sbin/runlevel

After RTM I am left with the idea that this is part of file-rc and not
sysvinit.  SysV being the way of Debian & the Hurd, right?  So, to see if I
understand ( I most certainly do not!):  invoke-rc.d first thing is seeing
what the runlevel constraints are.  It is looking to run /sbin/runlevel and
find out.  Well I don't have /sbin/runlevel.  My sid GNU/Linux does, but I
didn't find the /etc/runlevel.conf file in sid.  Where is the source code for
this executable?  I realize that is a linux question, but I thought the
answer might help me solve my hurd problem.

Ron