Re: stickybit & runlevel question

Ron Graves <gravytron@speakeasy.net> writes:

> -rwsr-sr-x    1 root     root         7828 Apr 28 11:23 X
> The 's' is a 'stickybit', right?  Is this something Hurd needs?  Can I chmod
> +x X, without causing any grief.

Right now it's ignored, but we may well in the future have VM handling
pay attention to the hint implied by the bit.  There was never a need
for X to be sticky on BSD, since the sticky bit is useful only for
programs that are run frequently, but are often not already running
when they are started.  This does not apply to X.

Still, why would you want to turn it off, since we may in the future
take it as some kind of VM preferencing hint?

Thomas