hurd installation via iso

I have been watching this list for a couple of months now.  I read "Free as in
Freedom," and like eating raw eggs after watching "Rocky" so many years ago,
I got hooked on the pure GNU thing.
Last night I jumped.  Installed a lil hd:
downloaded the tarball
printed out Debian GNU/Hurd Installation Guide
cfdisk /dev/hdb
part a 2gig slice as ext2fs bootable
left 2 gig as free space
wrote
#mke2fs -o hurd /dev/hdb1
note:  I have SuSE 8.2 (2.4.20) and Debian sid (2.6.5) on hda1 & 2
respectively.
SuSE came with GRUB
in SuSE (less kinks in the road as a rule its my production rig)
add hdb1 with /gnu mnt to fstab
#mount -t ext2fs /dev/hdb1 /gnu
#cd /gnu
#tar --same-owner -xvjpf ~/gnu.tar.bz2
its all there
reboot
at GRUB choose floppy with no floopy in drive (SuSE screen has no option for
command line)
GRUB hangs and presents the fix it screen.
'c' gets me a grub> command line
#kernel (hd1,0)/boot/gnumach.gz root=device:hd1s1 -s
#module "i am so sick of typing this line"
#module "this one too"  (i am not a real good typer)
#boot
bang zoom (man its fast)
is that a prompt?
guess so
whats with the console?
#export TERM=mach
#./native-install
hmmm like Marcos thread from february, thats a lot errors
it says root is /dev/.
it says to reboot in -m (the guide says -s again?)
i go with the guide
repeat it all (including those god forsaken module lines)
#./native-install
produces same output
#nano /etc/fstab
it can't find home directory
like a dog chasing its tail
reboot to SuSE
edit /gnu/etc/fstab
/dev/hd1s1    /         ext2       rw      0    1
edit /boot/grub/menu.lst
title Hurd
	kernel foo
	module so foobar
	module still more foobar
reboot
Hurd
crash
Oh isn't that cute, SuSE removed line module so foobar.
back to the long grub command line
same stuff too upto #export TERM=mach
if I run ./native-install it will kill the fstab.
move on to
#settrans -fgap /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet -i eth0 -a localhostsip -g
gatewaysip -m mask
it says no such dir /hurd/pfinet
bull!
#cd /hurd
#ls
there it is!
#nano pfinet
absolute jibberish
hey nano works
#cd /etc
#nano fstab
looks good!
it's 4am (i might have done lots of steps lots of times)
reboot to SUSE
suck major bandwidth at gnuab (sorry guys seriously so tired i lost reason)
wake up with 2.4 gigs of K5 iso images on the hd.
burn CD of mini and #1
Stop to think
my friends at the mailing list might point me in the right direction from
here.
Is the iso the thing?  Do I set up a chainloader type thing in grub or what?
I STFW and RTFM about where to go with the iso img, but I'm not sure I
understand.  I just put it in the drive, but it got passed up at boot, so I
assume it isn't bootable, or maybe my image isn't right.  Should CD1 boot?
What do you think?
Ron