Re: libice6 needed.

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Michael Banck wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 10:25:21PM +1300, Philip Charles wrote:
> > 2004 starts here in New Zealand in about 90 minutes.  Happy New Year
> > everyone.
> >
> > I was hoping to build the K6 images over the new year - week end break,
> > but I have run into a problem with the x-window system, namely a missing
> > libice6 package.  Does anyone know where I can get it?
>
> Smells like the xlibs-splitup:

Very much so.  It seems that libice is the first of about 20 fragments.

> blackbird$ apt-cache search libice
> xlibs - X Window System client libraries
>
> That's X-4.2 (unstable on GNU/Linux). In the latest X-4.3pre pacackages
> in experimental, xlibs got split up into a dozen libraries, one of them
> being libice6 (which just happens to be the first in the Depends:
> lines). Seems those libraries have not been built for hurd-i386 yet
> They haven't even been built for i386 yet, either, as libice6 got
> introduced with the recent xfree86_4.3.0-0pre1v5, which got uploaded for
> powerpc and ia64 only until now.
>
> So, you either have to get somebody (Robert?) to build
> xfree86_4.3.0-0pre1v5 for hurd-i386, or revert to an older version.
>
> What's the exact problem you encounter? Perhaps you can work-around
> that temporarily. In the end, we want the "real" 4.3 packages of course,
> but I don't see the need to build every 4.3pre-step for now.

A rough count shows that there are 460 packages dependant on xlibs which
in turn depends on libice6 and the other fragments.  None of these can go
onto the CD images.  X-windows is badly bent if not completely broken as
a result.  Mind you, some of the 460 packages would probably not get onto
the CDs for other reasons.

At this stage I plan to wait until 4.3 is ready as imho this would be a
major reason for releasing the K6 series.

A happy New Year to those who have not caught up with New Zealand yet.

Phil.

     I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz