Re: ppa problems; fails to boot: bad access on cdromrw

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 11:57:14PM +0000, Brian M. Carlson wrote:
> I have two problems. One, which is more of a minor annoyance, is that
> whenever I boot with my ppa 100MB Zip Drive plugged in (powered on), the
> Hurd panics. It claims something like
> "Unrecognized scsi message byte 255". It has a printer plugged in, an
> Epson Stylus Color 850. I believe this happened with an HP Deskjet 660C
> also. When the Zip Drive is not powered on, that is, unplugged from the
> outlet, the Hurd does not panic.

This is a known issue, there's some breakage with the ppa driver.

But it is not the Hurd, but Mach which panics. You can work around this by
rebuilding GNU Mach without ppa support (IIRC, --disable-ppa).

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)