ppa problems; fails to boot: bad access on cdromrw

I have two problems. One, which is more of a minor annoyance, is that
whenever I boot with my ppa 100MB Zip Drive plugged in (powered on), the
Hurd panics. It claims something like
"Unrecognized scsi message byte 255". It has a printer plugged in, an
Epson Stylus Color 850. I believe this happened with an HP Deskjet 660C
also. When the Zip Drive is not powered on, that is, unplugged from the
outlet, the Hurd does not panic.

The second, which is the larger problem, is that the Hurd never actually
finishes booting. After it prints the multiboot command line and the
task that it started (ext2fs.static), it stops with the following
message:

start /hurd/ext2fs.static: hd03: bad access: block=28, count=2, blockend=30, nr_sects2
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03, sector 28
Hurd server bootstrap: ext2fs.static[device:hd0s6] exec

And there it halts. Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing. hd03 is my CDRW drive,
which it correctly detects. hd0s6 is the partition upon which the
GNU/Hurd resides. The filesystem is suitable for GNU/Hurd. I've had this
problem since, I think, K2, but I've never gotten around to asking about
it. Before that I used one of the J series, which worked fine.

Please CC: me on replies; I am not subscribed to this list.

--
Brian M. Carlson <sandals@crustytoothpaste.ath.cx> 0x560553e7