Re: Debian Hurd package

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 09:56:15AM -0700, Jeff Bailey wrote:

> The sucky state of glibc has been far more problematic.  Alfred finally
> convinced upstream to apply his glibc patches so that it compiles for
> the Hurd again.  Last night I sent two patches in for gcc to get it
> doing the right thing for us, and I hope in the next few days to have
> glibc working.
>
> I have no objections to you being part of the maintainer team for the
> Debian Hurd port/package, etc., but I think that getting a fixed glibc
> in first is more important than the Hurd package itself.

Considering at least you and Alfred are working on it, I'm confident the
problems with Glibc will be solved soon!

As for the Hurd, it's being actively maintained in upstream but the Debian
package is completely abandoned. It gets to the point where our installation
system is broken and we are unable to fix it. Let me describe the situation:

 - a "fixed-upstream" critical bug in the Debian Hurd package breaks nice().
 - which [1] breaks coreutils' "make check", hence coreutils can't be built
   cleanly and uploaded to the archive.
 - which breaks crosshurd [2]; i.e: the "officialy" recommended install method.

[1] asides the DoS hole for which we don't care (Mach has no security anyway).

[2] "crosshurd" has other problems I'm currently hunting down (see #215135).
    Btw, Jeff are you going to upload soon?

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)