Re: Use of negated arches for dpkg dependencies

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 05:14:24PM +0000, Robert Millan wrote:

> The reason is that (as usual) we're coping with a work that doesn't belong
> to us. If a package depends on a linux-specific one, this is the package
> maintainer (or the Linux-based ports maintainers) who should take care about
> it.

Adopting a hardline philosophical attitude will not endear you or the
projects you're associated with to the rest of the Debian community.
Taking a pragmatic attitude now will make it far easier to do it
properly in the long term. Yes, in an ideal world Debian wouldn't be
Linux-centric - however, it is, and the fact that the Linux ports are
the only ones in an even vaguely releasable state gives them a
significant degree of priority.
--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org