Re: Use of negated arches for dpkg dependencies

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 03:41:16PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> Marcus, are you still interested in that? I can understand if your
> enthusiasm died away some time in the last 4 years...

Not only did my enthusiasm die away about 3 years ago, I am also highly
suspicious if implementing the right technical solution is in the best
interest of Debian, which by now has to give a higher precedence to
stability and compatibility.  (This was already true 4 years ago, it is just
even more true today).

The solution that is going to be implemented will probably only provide a
subset of all desirable features, chosen on the basis what still works
without introducing too many new problems.  I don't know enough about
Debian's archive software to give advice on what that could possibly be,
and I don't have time to get this knowledge.

The only circumstances that could get me to tackle this issue again would be
a new archive system for the GNU system, but even for that I wouldn't have
much time these days.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/