black screen after hours of inactivity

Hello.

Congratulations to all Debian/GNU/Hurd developers for your great work.

Just to share my experience about Hurd installation:

My first attempt was with series J2.  That time I wasn't able to start X.

This second attempt, with K4 in a Compaq Armada 1700, was much more
successful.  The console is fine, but accented characters do not show
well at a first sight.  I know that I have to study this... but trying
X seemed a little bit simpler.

The laptop features a Chips & Technologies 65555, so I chose "chips" instead
of "vesa" when configuring xfree86-xserver (in Linux, "chips" works fine).
X works, but after several hours of inactivity, the screen gets black, and
there is no way to wake it.  The system seems alive underneath, though.

Just reconfiguring to "vesa" solved the problem. (Hard reboots made me
reinstall the partition twice.)  In fact, now the screen turns to black
and white horizontal bar, with a vertical yellow bar at a random position.
But redrawing the screen (by maximizing a window, e.g.) resets the display
to its desirable state.

I have to use Emacs 21 in an xterm: emacs -nw
Its functions "set-terminal-coding-system" and "set-input-method" are
great!  [I don't miss anymore the spanish keyboard:  thanks to Hurd, I
know already the complete us keyboard, which is perfect to code and
write TeX and SGML!  I've remapped (in X) the <LSGT> less/greater key to
another ESC key, and I'm happy with Viper (vi under Emacs)]

Well, I'll continue to play.  Thanks to all.

	artime