Re: Re: live cd

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 01:29:11AM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:

> > Excuse me for jumping in here. I'm one of the lurkers. I have been a
> > supporter of GNU for many years and have followed the GNU development
> > long before even Linux was born. I am still a fan of GNU idea an
> > appreciate very much the (L)GPL compared to other "free" licences.

That's really nice.

> > What
> > is sometimes very frustrating though is the stubbornness to add features
> > to a specific tool, e.g. Grub in this case.

GRUB as you properly call it is the "stable" version and has many dessign
deficiencies. This is why Okuji started a rewrite from scratch, known as PUPA.

When PUPA is ready, it will become GRUB. Perhaps version 2.0 or something, I
don't know.

Btw, you'll like to know that two of our fellow Hurd hackers have joined PUPA
development. Hopefuly the project will gain some momentum.

> > Another more famous example
> > is the CVS issue. If there had been some openness of the goals of CVS
> > tools like Bitkeeper would not even exist (Larry McVoy go disappear
> > somewhere).

Larry McVoy and his Bitsucker are not to succeed. The GNU project launched
Arch, and there's SVN too. The community is fighting back.

And as Richard said, Linux itself is not essential anymore. It is good, but
not essential. So if they choose the non-free way, too bad; but we have a
bunch other free kernels.

> > Other examples are Emacs vs Xemacs, gcc vs. egcs etc. I don't have a

egcs is dead.

> > proposal for a solution, maybe I'm just frustrated. On my to do list is
> > still to install Hurd on one of my computers to really get going with
> > the real GNU thing, not just Linux.

If as a GNU supporter you acknowledge it's the real GNU thing, then call it
GNU, for it's the name of the system (and the Hurd a part of it).

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)