Booting hurd-k4

I'm trying to get the hurd to boot on an old pentium system.  Installed
using the Debian GNU/Hurd K4 iso images.  Came to reboot, loaded grub ok.
Starts booting GNUmach, but stops after detecting the ide disk,cdrom and
floppy drive.  No error messages are reported.

The only PCI card in the system is a S3 video card - I removed the network
card in case this was causing the problems. I don't think there are any
shared interrupts.

I thought I'd ask for help to get a system up and running before I look
into building a specific kernel.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Phil