Re: Hurd advocacy? Bootable (Knoppix-like) CD?

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Greg Buchholz wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Philip Charles wrote:
> > It is beyond my capabilities.  A live CD would depend on having a native
> > installer for GNU with a hurdish ramdisk etc.  Nice idea though.
>
> 	Hmmm...  I'm probably out of my league here, but I'll ask anyway.
> Why would a native install or a ramdisk be necessary?  I was just thinking
> of writing a GRUB boot image to the CD and have it boot the hurd system
> installed on the rest of the CD.  Does the hurd write some
> initialization/configuration info to the filesystem?  And I thought the
> main problem in having a native install was the lack of a hurdish fdisk.
> Maybe I'll get some time this weekend to take a look at it.

Knoppix, and other live CDs, work by creating a ramdisk which contains the
/ directory.  Various other directories are then symlinked from the CD to
this ramdisk / directory.  The kernel and other system dependent info is
also stored in the ramdisk, typically /etc.

For a GNU live CD to work a hurdish ramdisk would have to be created and
setup at the initial boot.  If this could be done we could also use this
to create a native GNU installer.  At the moment the CDs have to use a
Linux ramdisk and then reboot into GNU once the HDD has been setup.  I can
think of no way of rebooting into a ramdisk.

Phil.

     I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz