Re: Hurd advocacy? Bootable (Knoppix-like) CD?

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 04:51:47PM +0100, Greg Buchholz wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Philip Charles wrote:
> > It is beyond my capabilities.  A live CD would depend on having a native
> > installer for GNU with a hurdish ramdisk etc.  Nice idea though.
>
> 	Hmmm...  I'm probably out of my league here, but I'll ask anyway.
> Why would a native install or a ramdisk be necessary?  I was just thinking
> of writing a GRUB boot image to the CD and have it boot the hurd system
> installed on the rest of the CD.  Does the hurd write some
> initialization/configuration info to the filesystem?  And I thought the
> main problem in having a native install was the lack of a hurdish fdisk.
> Maybe I'll get some time this weekend to take a look at it.

We have GNU Parted.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)