Re: Hurd advocacy?

> > Code Reading: The Open Source Perspective
> > Diomidis Spinellis
>
> Ugh, because we seek freedom, we don't believe in "Open Source" philosophy:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html
>
> If you want a good book describing the free software philosophy, I recommend
> "Free Software, Free Society" a recopilation of RMS' eassays from
> www.gnu.org site (see http://www.gnu.org/doc/book13.html)

Ugh? Please don't judge a book by its title. Code Reading is a
technical, not philosophical book. It contains numerous examples, from
NetBSD, Apache, Perl, XFree86, etc... Diomidis stopped short of using
the term "Free Software Perspective", because not every example is
GPLed. But as far as code reading skills are concerned, BSD-style
Licenses or Artistic are just as fine as GPL: they don't matter
w.r.t. understanding code.

Again, this is not a book on Open Source vs. Free Software.  It is a
book on reading and understanding code, not only from small projects,
but also very big ones as you can see.

--
Farid Hajji. http://www.farid-hajji.net/address.html