Re: MD5 passwords

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@kemisten.nu> writes:

> It wasn't enabled because there is no "sane" way of enableing it right
> now, you could try port PAM to GNU/Hurd (the correct way of fixing
> this), or hack chpasswd to use MD5 passwords as default (the wrong
> way, and it would probobly violate some standard out there)

A command line option to passwd(1) sounds perfectly sane to me. And
then chpasswd(8) and adduser(8) etc can have similar command line flags.

(But I don't particularly like PAM, so I don't like the idea that
there are some basic sysadm tasks, like setting m5 passwords, that you
can do some only by using PAM-tools. And I don't particularly like md5
passwords either; the idea is good, but the current standard and
implementation is far too ugly and obscure for my taste).

Regards,
/Niels