Re: Hurd Advocacy?

On Friday 15 Aug 2003 9:31 pm, Hurd Advocate wrote:
>     What can the Hurd community do to promote their favorite OS?
> - Is there any one thing which could be fixed to attact a lot more
> users?
>     PPP?
>     sound?
>     USB?
>     GNOME?
>     journaled file system?
>     OpenOffice?

For me, sound is crucial.  I don't mind hacking on a system all day to get
something working, but if I can't play an MP3 while I do that, then it
suddenly gets a LOT less fun.  REALLY :)

I think my network card works now (DLink 530tx?), but good nic support is
crucial for lots of people.  How can they use an OS in the modern age if they
can't even check their mail on it? :)

Next, I'd say GNOME and OpenOffice, in that order.  It's hard to believe
they're not already supported, actually ;)

> - Is our installation proceedure/Debian system overly obtuse?

Yep :)

> - Are we always destined to play catch up with Linux? (eventhough we
> had
>   a headstart?)

Probably.  Perhaps someday, people will talk of free/opensource operating
systems, instead of just 'linux'.

If not, perhaps a common driver SDK for all free/os platforms would help.
Hell, that would help immensely.  I'm surprised no one's done it yet :)

--
- Lee.