Solved: Installing grub to hd from hurd

Kent West wrote:

Using a grub boot floppy, at the grub> prompt, I've typed "setup (hd0)", which then says it's checking for stage1 and stage2, and a conf file, and then it reports success. However, on reboot, I just get a blank screen with a dash in the top left corner, just like I would sometimes get back in the old days of MS-DOS if the boot sector was corrupt and the system started booting and then hung early in the process.

Turns out I was doing things properly; just something in the system wasn't taking it. I wiped the partition table and started over (creating slightly different sized partitions to avoid resurrecting the old system), and followed pretty much the same steps, and this time it worked like expected. I'm going to do it once more, just for experimentation purposes, before moving on in my quest to tackle the Hurd.

--
Kent