Re: What's the command to create swap in hurd

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 12:03:34AM +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

>    (sorry, Alfred--you got the name wrong; does this mean that The
>    Hurd is running well enough for you that you don't [need] to touch
>    Linux anymore? :))
>
> I'm almost there!

Corking :)

>    If there happens to be a Linux swap-signature (or anything else ;))
>    ok the partition, it's likely to be gone by the time that The Hurd
>    is done with the partition.
>
> This is not entierly true, swapon can care about the signature if you
> tell it to (the -s switch)

Ah--this is cool. I don't remember where I got that bit of
misinformation, but I guess I know better, now :)

> Would you like to help us stop the confusing that Linux is an
> operating system by calling it GNU/Linux?

Definitely--and I would've said "GNU/Linux" if that's what I had meant ;)

Really, I was alluding to deficiencies of The Hurd as compared to Linux
(ahem: the kernel), like the lack of all of the whizzy hardware-drivers
and support for big disk-filesystems with journalling and being able to
run without swap and with LOTS of RAM and speed and stability and...
(you get the point ;), and this is all kernel-stuff, right?) :\

Though..., it's hard to tell when people -do- actually mean what they're
saying when so many of them are too confused--d'oh! ;)

Just put me on your list as `already converted', so you remember not to
worry about me in the future (I even told the Western-Digital
tech-support guy that I was running "... Debian--GNU on Linux", when my
last hard disk died--then I had to un-confuse him) :)

--
"Saying that complexity isn't real
 because it "was invented somewhere else"