Re: The Hurd & packages in Debian

Hi Folkert,

On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 03:42:32PM +0200, Folkert van Heusden wrote:
> If a project is included in Debian, does that mean it compiles & runs in
> Hurd?

No. It must not even compile & run on all Linux architectures, although
this is of course a goal for common applications which are not
arch-specific.

> I wrote this program MultiTail [...] and I would like to know if it
> runs in Hurd.

The Build-Depends seem to be present, but like James said, it did not
yet got auto-built. I think the hurd-i386 buildd is down at the moment,
quite for some time actually. As mulitail is a relatively new package (a
bit more than a month in unstable), it could very well be that the
buildd never got told by wanna-build to build multitail.

My Hurd box is switched off at the moment (I took a look at it earlier
today - it's in a very hot in the room thanks to the wheather, so I
could not switch it on), otherwise I could try a build.

But don't worry, not being built for hurd-i386 does not affect the
package in any way as far as Debian is concerned. Still, you can take a
look at http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Distrib/PortingIssues to see
whether you face potential problems with your package with respect to
Debian GNU/Hurd.

cheers,

Michael