Re: OT: Palladium (Was Re: eric raymond)

Farid Hajji disait (le 19/05/03 à 13:29) :
> > > We're quickly getting off topic here, but I'm not so worried about
> > > the
> > > technological side of TCPA/Palladium. I think computers without
> > > that
> > > sort of control will be available for the foreseeable future (like
> > > region free DVD-players exist, at least in Sweden you can buy them
> > > in
> > > ordinary 100%-mainstream shops). You might not be able to run M$
> > > W*rd
> > > on a TCPA-free computer, but I wouldn't do that anyway.
you might not be able to communicate with any TCPA computer.
you might just talk with the 1% hackers ...

> Even if such silly laws were enforced, it could benefit FSF
> and other advocates of Free Software: The harder the repression
> laws, the more people are being bitten by them, and the higher
> the protest potential. Actually, such laws would be FSF's best
> advocate, since they will help raising consciousness amoung
> people who are now still indifferent to our beliefs and goals.

What I fear is that they could be clever enough to
implement TCPA in every computer during next years,
without using it at this first time, without stressing to much
people, and wait so 4 or 5 years, and then, when they have the hand
on 99% computers, when they have prepared people to the need to pay,
and with security arguments, they come and say "now you'll pay",
and cry...

They will continue to be gentle, for a while ...
just the time to destroy every alternative.
the time, for exemple, to convince linus to implement TCPA in linux,
what is done, now.
what is the next step ?

that's why i find it really important to take care to these questions,
in the dev of GNU/Hurd (the alternative) and more generally,
and to enforce Free Software, not Open Source...

¡ for a GNU/Hurd evolution !   :)

         ... dans dix ans, "sarkozy" sera le nom d'un syndrôme ...